8. Lois Creek Trails- Tea Spot loop


Date: November 23, 2014

I have been doing some self reflection. I have always enjoyed taking time to reflect, and my reflecting always seems to be more powerful after a time of stress. Work-related stress had me feeling pretty down this week, but after some great discussions with helpful friends and colleagues, some yoga and some time to really think things over, I am feeling SO much better. Reflecting after a time of stress often leaves me feeling very thankful for all that I have in my life, and this time was no different! 

During a discussion with a friend a few weeks ago (Jen Hagen), our upcoming 30th birthdays were brought up. Of course, this blog then came up. Jen really enjoys travelling as well, and wanted to do something that was sort of similar for her birthday. However, she pointed out that we live in such a magnificent place and don't always get out to explore our surroundings as much as we should. Her brilliant idea focused on getting out in our own "backyard" more often. Taking time to really enjoy this beautiful place we have chosen to live. 

This idea has stayed with me, and came back into the forefront of my mind when Will and I sat down to plan out our next trip. I hate to admit how often he is right, and most often cannot possibly do so in the moment. He wanted to spend some time at home during our two week break from school, rather than spend the whole time running around to a few different countries. I was pushing for more locations to hit during that time when he told me that he thought I might be pushing for that just because of the blog challenge we set up. I fought hard against that idea (what? that's ridiculous!), saying that I really did just want to see a bunch of places during our break. However, when I took the time to think about it, I realized he was right (darn!). I always have my long wish list of places to see, and so does he, but with the whirlwind weeks we've been having, some time to just enjoy being here would be so nice. 

As I gave this idea more thought, I realized that our life could use a little slowing down, a little more time for us and a little more time to enjoy where we are. I read a few blogs about simplifying (http://bemorewithless.com, http://simpleyear.co/course/) and making time for loved ones (http://playfullearning.net/2014/11/the-gift-of-time/), and realized that this is the ultimate challenge. We feel like we have done a good job of getting out and exploring our surroundings since moving to BC 6+ years ago. However, the challenge that we set up for travelling to other places takes us away from the place we love so much. We decided to alter the challenge- we will still travel to places more than an hour away of course, and we will hop on planes and explore some places without mountains (well, maybe). However, we will also relish in the opportunity to spend time enjoying the places near and dear, and post about some of those too. 

To kick this change off, we decided to spend our Sunday having breakfast in Kimberley, followed by a winter hike around the Tea Spot loop within the Lois Creek trail system. We have all of this beautiful snow blanketing the ground now, so we thought we should get out to enjoy it! We walked for three hours, taking in the sights and sounds of this beautiful area. My absolute favourite thing about walking with someone is all the topics that are discussed, the things you find out, that you just wouldn't have without the walk. I love that after being with Will for 11 years, I still find myself smiling, laughing, and saying, "really? I didn't know that!" :)

The Burgess Duo





haha a slightly less congested "401" than the one in Ontario!

The Burgess Duo





Comments

  1. Thank you for your insightful comments, Natasha. It is a stressful time and it is difficult not to get caught up in it all. I definitely need to take some time to step back myself and just admire the simple things too. I'm glad I got to read this tonight...perfect timing ;).

    Let's make sure we do that snowshoe this winter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment