18. Whitefish, Montana

Dates: June 26-28, 2015

It feels great to have something to add to this blog again! Although I have done a few trips on my own in the last couple months, Will and I have not had a chance to travel together. Between working on completing my Masters project and both of us finishing up the year of school with our students, we just didn't find time. However, with 6 years of marriage and another end to a school year to celebrate (not to mention a dishwasher to buy), we headed off to Whitefish for a weekend of fun in the sun! After being on the highway for a few minutes, it was clear that our truck was not going to make it. Luckily, we weren't far from my aunt and uncle's place, and they were kind enough to lend us one of their trucks! When we arrived on Friday evening, this is the view that greeted us as Whitefish State Park:

Upon setting up however, we realized the true reason why I feel like it's a great idea to do a small, easy camping trip at the beginning of each summer before any major ones:

This being the complete contents of our tent bag, we felt as though we were missing something... 
LUCKILY, Will dealt with this adversity like a champ, which is one of my absolute favourite qualities in others. After cooking up some dinner, we headed into Kalispell for a little shopping!

Nothing like owning 3 tents! I justified this one with it being super inexpensive, and being big enough to fit an entire Kindergarten class if I brought it to school (which they would LOVE!)

What luxury- I can stand straight up!
The campsite was great, aside from it being right next to a railroad that had a train going by every 20 min or so. I was able to sleep through it all, but Will didn't fare so well. 

Before it got too hot on Saturday, we headed up a great trail called Whitefish Lake Trail. It was a few mile loop, with an awesome scenic lookout at the furthest point. 

Still having time before it got too warm, we headed out to do a little SUP-ing (stand up paddle boarding). Will had never been, but once he got the hang of paddling, he had a lot of fun out there with me! This has quickly become one of my absolute favourite activities, and I am actually pretty good at it (another individual sport to add to my list of "athletic activities I enjoy that do not involve a team"!), so I am hoping to do it a few more times this summer! We went pretty far out into the lake, and then I raced back to get a couple pictures of him coming in:


We then spent time by the lake reading and relaxing... this is the moment I have been dreaming about for months now:

Afterwards, we went for an awesome lunch at Buffalo Cafe, and walked around the shops. Since it was so hot, and since the movie theatre is one of Will's favourite places to be, we took advantage of a Jurassic World matinee. It was great! Afterwards, we noticed this sign:


We then went for delicious tapas at Casey's/Skybar in Whitefish, before sipping some beers back at our campsite. Despite the train continuing to pass through, Will slept much better the second night (sheer exhaustion?). In the morning, we ate breakfast by the lake before packing up and heading into Kalispell. We did a bit of shopping, and then picked up our dishwasher before heading out! On our way home, we had a great visit with my aunt and uncle. It was a great way to kick off summer, and now we both feel like we are officially in vacation mode! Lots more trip posts to come this summer :)

The Burgess Duo

Comments

  1. Woo!! It's officially summer vacation and I'm glad you both took advantage of the great weather this weekend! Looks like you had such a good time :) and I like your new acronym of SUP-ing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment